Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas fun

It took me so long to get into the Christmas spirit this season that it seems Christmas was over almost before it started.
We were able to keep our Christmas Eve tradition this year though and in between storms we met my parents, my brother Craig and his family along with Ashlee and Britton at Crown Burger. (Riley's favorite, we sent him a Crown Burger bag and the wrapper off a burger in his Christmas package so that he could at least get the smell of the tradition.) We then traveled up the road to Temple Square to see the Christmas lights.

Temple Square was arrayed in the beautiful colors of Christmas the colorful lights adding a warm glow to everything. There is always such a quiet sense of peace as you walk through the grounds. It is amazing the feeling of love and gratitude one feels as you see the Christmas story portrayed before you. Being with family added to the joy of this special night.


Temple Square..............................Ashlee and Britton
After Temple Square we set off for home. Eric, Jackie and the girls, along with Ashlee and Britton had decided to spend the night. This was a nice treat for me as Bruce had to work and they all kept me company. We read the Christmas story and tucked the girls into bed.
Christmas morning came and I was sleeping soundly when two little girls anxiously tip-toed into my room asking, "Grandma, can you wake up now?" We all met in in front room snuggled in our Christmas jammies admiring the tree and the gifts beneath. Bruce arrived home to cries of delight as we began to open our Christmas gifts.

Christmas Morning..................Eric and Jackie and girls


Ashlee and Britton
It was wonderful, joyous chaos opening all our gifts.

Abby

Eliza
We warmed our tummies with Christmas breakfast casserole, muffins and hot chocolate as a winter storm raged outside. It was fun relaxing and enjoying being together as a family, just enjoying each others company.


Eliza enamored by the snow
As 12:00 approached I sat anxiously by the phone waiting for the hour when I was to call Riley.
I had been looking forward to this time for months. After a few tries the call went through, a deep voice"hello". " Ahh, hi, may I speak to Elder Davies?" "Mom it's me, this is Elder Davies!""Riley.......(tears) you sound so different! You sound so....mature.... It is so good to hear your voice (more tears)! And so it went. We all took turns talking though I will admit I think I got the most time! All too soon (40 minutes exactly) our time was up. I was told " Now Mom you know obedience brings blessings" So I obediently said a tearful goodbye after telling my youngest son how much I loved him!
The time came when Eric and Jackie had to leave for another party back home in Layton. We said our goodbyes and prayed for their safety traveling home in the winter blizzard that was still raging outside. The phone rang about fifteen minutes later, "Don't worry about us, once you hit I-15 the roads are almost dry!" Relief!

Jensen family party
Two days later we celebrated the Jensen Family party. We met in Farmington at my parents home. My Mom informed us that Jenny, my sister, and her family would not be coming, the roads were just too bad and they had had to turn around. I was really looking forward to seeing Jenny and Gary and the children. But they had a backup plan that no one knew about. Sometime in between turning around and arriving home in Boise they decided to catch a flight to Salt Lake to be with the family. Just as we were about to have a blessing on the food the door bell rang, what a surprise to see my sister and her family standing in the door way, there to celebrate with us! It was a great party, full of good food, lots of fun, laughter and love of family.

On the 29th of December Bruce, Ashlee and I rode out to Vernal to celebrate with Lindsay and Brian. They had not been able to come up for Christmas because Lindsay is so close to her due date. The boys met us outside bright and early asking "What took you so long Grandpa! Come on in!!" It is always fun to be welcomed so warmly by two such adorable little boys! We spent the morning opening gifts and enjoying being together. Pizza was the choice for lunch and we all bundled up to traverse the cold and find the Pizza hut. The rest of the afternoon was spent playing the with boys, and an adult game of "Deal or No Deal". It was a great visit and over all to soon. We said our sad goodbyes and promised to come back soon.
Talmon...................................Cooper
Christmas is truly about Christ, but I also believe it is about Family! They both warm your heart!!