Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Body Worlds 3


Wondering awe!

-"It is only with the heart
that one can see rightly
What is essential
is invisible to the eye."-


I had heard from many people how amazing the production of Body Worlds 3 was. I really wanted to see it and experience it for myself. Last night I got the chance to do just that. I knew I was expecting to see something amazing but I don't think I could have truly comprehended the magnitude of this production without seeing it first hand. The human body is truly amazing in so many aspects. I think the thing that I found most awe inspiring was the way that everything must work together to create a living, working properly functioning body. It encompasses so many things, down to the very tiniest of hair-thin blood vessels that must all work in tandem to sustain life. The process they used to preserve the bodies is called plastination. By injecting a plastic dye into the arteries which then hardens, they were then able to dissect the hardened vessels and display them as they would be in natural form. Amazing. We were able to see how muscles work and how the nervous system is layed out, down to the tiniest nerve endings. My words do not do justice to the complex wonder of it all. I felt after viewing this exhibit that the intricacies, complexities and workings of the body must be of divine inspiration and creation. There could be no other explanation.