Monday, December 15, 2008

Rileys Mission Update



Riley and His Companion on Santa Clara Island

Riley is still serving on the Island of Robinson Crusoe. He is enjoying serving the people of the Island and getting to know them better. The following is a portion of his email that I received today along with some fun pictures.

This week has been a good week here on the island. We have worked hard in service and tried to do our best in teaching.
This week we dug a huge hole ( by hand ) for a septic system. It was actually a lot of fun. It was about 7 feet deep.

Digging a hole for a septic system

We did a lot of teaching this week as well. I am starting to get a little bit worried about Jorge, he leaves to go fishing for three days at a time and we really are not able to find him very often and it is very important to find your investigators if you are going to teach them, if you know what I mean. There is a young kid here in the branch that brought one of his friends to English class, then he brought him to church. It was a lot of fun to see him come to church we are going to see what we can do with his family. Really I don´t want to just baptize a little kid without his parents because they don´t have very much of a chance of being able to endure to the end with out the parents. So that is pretty much our situation here on the island.

Riley and the Seals on Santa Clara

You asked about the island of Santa Clara. (Last week Riley and his companion received special permission to accompany a conservation group to the Santa Clara Island to be interpreters for them. They were the first missionaries to ever visit the island.) We saw a lot of seals and crab and some fish. I haven´t seen any dolphins or whales yet, but they say that this is the season to see them. So we will have to see what happens. That is something I would really like to see. Going to the Island was a really fun service project. We had to get onto the island with these little boats because there are no docks on that island. Well I was the second to jump off, and when I tried to jump the ocean went down like six feet from the rock and I fell in half way! my legs in the water and my upper body hanging onto the rock. Well I am an obedient missionary and I do my exercises in the morning so of course I am physically fit. So I pulled myself up out of the water. It was just funny. Everyone on the boat laughed because the Elder fell in the water. I took a lot of pictures and I am going to try and send you some.
I actually helped my Mamita decorate her tree today and I felt like I was at home. It was a lot of fun.