We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —Declaration of Independence
With our son Eric returning home from a year tour of duty in Iraq, I having been thinking a lot about the freedom we enjoy and the many men and women who sacrifice and fight to protect that freedom every day.
Sending your son to war suddenly puts a whole new perspective on war itself. It becomes more real, personal, ugly, and more deadly. Saying goodbyes are always hard, one prays they will not be permanent goodbyes!! I have noticed that I am drawn to other service men and women. I want to hear all about their stories, how things are for them, as if having someone you love in the service creates an instant bond!
Ashlee wrote an essay on an airport departure that was touching to her. I have included part of the here:
"I am standing next to Jackie, my brothers wife, holding their daughter Abby. We are watching as my brother and his unit are preparing to leave for Iraq. The airport seems a sad place today and I wish that this reality was not mine, or my families. The lady at the ticket counter announces that the flight is now ready for boarding, and we all prepare ourselves to say our goodbyes, it is such a hectic moment, my throat fells dry,and I can fell hot tingles beginning to reach my eyes. I never wanted this day to come! My brother takes his daughter from my arms and gives her a loving hug, and whispers something to her I can not hear. He reaches for his wife and I look away for a moment, out of respect, in order to give them some privacy. I look around the terminal and it seems every one is hugging their soldiers, trying to savor the last few moments. I know that my turn for a goodbye is next and I prepare my self so that I can put on a brave face for him. I don't want him to know how much I will miss him, and at the same time I do. I feel confused with my own feelings and the hot tingle in the corner of my eyes again. I panic not wanting to miss my last chance to say goodbye to my hero, I cry out for him to wait. He turns and we embrace; all my preparations for icy bravery are instantly melted; he tells me that he loves me and that we will see each other soon"
Thanks Eric for your convictions to preserving the freedom that we are so blessed to enjoy and for coming back home to us! You are our Hero! We Love you!