Saturday, November 22, 2008

Being true to oneself

A few years ago I had someone recommend the Movie Akela and the Bee. It looked like a wholesome movie though I wasn't sure exactly how entertaining it would be. I was surprised, it was fabulous. Full of real emotions about overcoming obstacles, sometimes known as ourselves, an achieving goals. But always staying true to oneself. Akela, a young African American girl who is trying to win a national spelling bee, adopts this motto:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." -Marianne Williamson

Bruce and I happened on this movie again tonight while trying to find something "good" on TV. I love movies that are inspiring, that push us to reach our highest potential, that teach us to be true to oneself; by not being afraid to live life to its fullest. If you are looking for an inspirational movie, Akela and the Bee is a great one.